After yet another crazy, magical, stressful, exciting, devastating, amazing, heartbreaking, surprising, frustrating, joyful, challenging and somewhat indescribable three hundred and sixty-five days, the defining lesson throughout is ironically enough, one that comes as no real surprise at all.
Yet another three hundred and sixty-five days exploring the ins and outs of this wild and crazy world and so far, this is what I have come to know;
Nothing in life ever happens the way in which we imagine it will. Not a single thing in this world is ever completely immortal to change and whilst that is obviously something that I was already quite aware of, this past year has made that more apparent than ever before.
Life truly is unexpected. It’s magical, it’s mysterious and at times it is often overwhelmingly confusing and despite how much time we may waste trying to figure it all out, I honestly don’t think that we ever truly will.
As much as we may choose to believe otherwise, life was not made to be mastered. It was made to be lived and I am beginning to think that there is some sort of comfort to be found in that. In fact, perhaps that is where the ultimate answer lies; not in ever actually finding an answer as such, but in choosing to throw caution to the wind and completely disregard the question. Choosing to embrace the mystery of life and instead, just simply begin to live.
At the end of the day, nothing in life is permanent. The world is ever changing, as are we and perhaps that is the lesson in all of this. Perhaps above all else, that’s what I’ve learnt this year.
Along with the realisation that I am in fact both braver and stronger than I could have ever possibly imagined, there are a few other things that I have realised along the way. Things that I am certain I will carry with me from now, until forever.
1. Don’t ever get too comfortable with the way of the world, that’s when it will decide to surprise you.
2. Don’t become too steadfast in your ways, forcing you to lose the ability to sway with the breeze.
3. Don’t be afraid to take a deep breath every once in a while and step outside of our comfort zone. It might just allow the wind to carry you towards the kind of adventure that you never could have imagined.
4. Don’t be afraid to open your eyes wider than ever before and explore the world with a new sense of appreciation; a new desire to seek beauty in the simplest of things.
5. Don’t be afraid to allow life to work it’s magic in the most unexpected of ways, sometimes that is exactly what we need.
Sometimes without ever quite realising it ourselves, we need to be thrown back out into the deep end, simply to remind us that we do in fact know how to swim and while the unknown can certainly be frightening at times, with the right perspective it can also be incredibly beautiful. So beautiful in fact that eventually, we begin to wonder just what it was that we were ever so afraid of.
Dearest 2013; whilst you may not have quite turned out to be everything that I had first hoped, I am choosing to believe that you were instead, everything that I never knew I needed.